He was the Associate Producer on the Rondo award winning DVD "Uncle Forry's Ackermansions". He worked 2 years on Walt Lee's update on the Reference Guide to Fantastic Films and is perhaps most proud of initiating the 1999 Clifton's Cafeteria reunion of Forry, Ray Bradbury, and Ray Harryhausen.
Tom was born in San Jose, CA, went to San Jose State and received a B.A. in Art and later, a Teacher's Credential in Math, utilizing both brain hemispheres. He has mainly been teaching as a profession since the 90's.
Tom befriended Forrest J Ackerman back in the late 80's. He moved down to L.A., without much fanfare, to work for Forry in the late 90's on weekends. Tom drove, filed, catalogued, and even tracked missing items down by request. That was tough! Forry paid for a lot of meals, but he worked for gratis. Tom felt that the preservation of his stuff and especially one-of-a-kind Science Fiction items was important enough, plus he sure liked his company.
Tom had been inspired by seeing the first convention panel with Ray Bradbury and his friends Forrest J Ackerman, and Ray Harryhausen. This was the 1993 Famous Monsters Magazine Convention in Arlington, VA. And, while working for Forry, he suggested the idea of having a reunion in June,1999 and they got the big three together again!
A friend of Tom's, Tom Wyrsch asked him if he wanted to do a documentary of Forry's mansions. Even though Mr. Wyrsch put up the money for the DVD production, he said Tom could say it was his. He ended up being Associate Producer after putting so much into it.
This meeting of the SOUTHWEST MANUSCRIPTERS, a Writers Club, ongoing since 1949, will be open to the public on: Saturday, March 4th, 2-4:00pm, in the Community Room on the 3rd Floor of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Library, 701 Silver Spur Road, in Rolling Hills Estates
Contact Carol at: (310) 676-7494 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
The POETRY CONTEST FINALS are coming up on MARCH 4th
Get your poems together and submit!
Barbra Simpson, Contest Chair
SWM Contest Rules
Mona O'Connor Poetry Contest
Deadline: Mar. 4th, 2017 SWM meeting.
Contest Chair: Barbra Simpson
1. Contest is limited to SWM members only.
2. Four dollars non-refundable fee for each entry. Cash or check OK. One check can cover multiple entries. Make check payable to Southwest Manuscripters and bring to the meeting or send to the SWM Contest, 872 - Fifth Street, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
3. Maximum three entries per person. In keeping with the purpose of the SWM to encourage writers, especially new writers, only previously unpublished material is allowed. That means not seen in any medium (book, newsletter, magazine, newspaper, internet) with circulation of more than 200 readers. Rule of Thumb: If a judge may already have seen your entry, it is ineligible.
4. Print four (4) copies of your entries, one per each judge. Article entries may be single or double-spaced... but single-sided, with an easy-to-read typeface, and legible. If the entry can't be read, it can't be judged. [Note: Times-Roman or Courier 12 is standard.]
5. Note word count on page one (max 2,000). Do NOT put personal info on the pages.
6. Entrant's name may not appear anywhere on the entry. Put NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE and TITLE of entry as you would like to see them on award on a 3x5 card. You may also indicate intended market (e.g., children's magazine, sci-fi magazine).
7. Although the contest has four judges, no judge is obliged to provide a written critique.
8. Awards will be presented at the SWM meeting in the month following the contest deadline. Winners of more than one top award will receive one certification for the highest scoring entry and honorable mention for any others. In case of a tie for a top award, each individual entrant will receive the same award.
9. Members who wish their entries to be published in The Write Stuff, may forward their entries, winning or not, after the contest, to Southwest Manuscripters, TWS Editor:
10. Entries that do not comply with the above rules will be rejected and the entry fee will be forfeit.
Give entries, checks and cards to the Contest Chair or mail them to: SWM Contest, 872 - Fifth Street, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 or bring to the Mar. 4th, 2017 SWM Meeting (or before). Do NOT mail entries to the Editor or to the SWM P.O. Box.
Basically what the above is saying:
A) Submit 4 (four) copies of your work, without any personal info on the sheets, just the title.
B) At the same time, include a card or paper with title and your personal info.
C) Send them to or give to Barbra at the above address or at the next meeting along with your check or cash.
D) Pick up your award at the following meeting.
SWM Meeting Times & Dates for 2017
Sat. Mar. 4th, - 2-4pm
April 8th, 2-4pm
May 6th, 2-4pm
June 3rd, 2-4:00pm
July 8th, 2-4:00pm
August TBD - Picnic
September 9th, 2-4pm
October 7th, 2-4:00pm
November 4th, 2-4:00pm
December, Holiday Party