In his own words, "I like to tell people that I am retired from two biblical professions: minister and tax collector. As a Presbyterian minister I served multiple churches in California, Colorado, and Idaho. I also worked nearly 25 years for the IRS as a tax auditor and revenue agent before retiring in the spring of 2009."
Another turning point that year was when he happened to read an article by Eva Shaw, Ph.D., about writing a memoir. One of her suggestions was to write a page a day. "If you write a page of your life story each day, in a year you'll have a book," she wrote. That sounded doable. So the next morning, he began writing (not typing) a page a day - sometimes more. A few months were barren and he wrote nothing at all; but, by the spring of 2012, he had published a 341-page book entitled, "The Adventures of an Ordinary Man."
Although he's not expecting this book to be a bestseller, Bill hopes it will be meaningful to his grandchildren (two), great-grandchildren (he has hopes) and beyond. In the meantime, he enjoys giving readers a little glimpse into his life.
Bill will read a brief section of his book and then give an overview of the subjects within so people will have a basis for asking questions during the Q&A. He is willing to talk about his experiences in South Africa, Israel and Russia, the church and the IRS, and acting-to name a few. He has also learned the cello and promises to play us something. Not one to sit on his laurels, he will be participating in (but not running in) the Orange County Half Marathon on Sunday, May 7th.
Come and join us for a very entertaining afternoon.
~ Hugs, Carol
This meeting of the SOUTHWEST MANUSCRIPTERS, a Writers Club, ongoing since 1949, will be open to the public on: Saturday, May 6th, 2-4:00pm, in the Community Room on the 3rd Floor of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Library, 701 Silver Spur Road, in Rolling Hills Estates
Contact Carol at: (310) 676-7494 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Don't forget! Article Contest Entries are due by the June 3rd Meeting! - See Below...
Barbra Simpson, Contest Chair
Edith Battles Nonfiction Article Contest
Deadline: June 3rd, 2017 SWM meeting.
Contest Chair: Barbra Simpson
1. Contest is limited to SWM members only.
2. Four dollars non-refundable fee for each entry. Cash or check OK. One check can cover multiple entries. Make check payable to Southwest Manuscripters and bring to the meeting or send to the SWM Contest, 872 - Fifth Street, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
3. Maximum three entries per person. In keeping with the purpose of the SWM to encourage writers, especially new writers, only previously unpublished material is allowed. That means not seen in any medium (book, newsletter, magazine, newspaper, internet) with circulation of more than 200 readers. Rule of Thumb: If a judge may already have seen your entry, it is ineligible.
4. Print four (4) copies of your entries, one per each judge. Article entries must be double-spaced... but single-sided, with an easy-to-read typeface, and legible. If the entry can't be read, it can't be judged. [Note: Times-Roman or Courier 12 is standard.]
5. Note word count on page one (max 2,000). Do NOT put personal info on the pages.
6. Entrant's name may not appear anywhere on the entry. Put NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE and TITLE of entry as you would like to see them on award on a 3x5 card. You may also indicate intended market (e.g., children's magazine, sci-fi magazine).
7. Although the contest has four judges, no judge is obliged to provide a written critique.
8. Awards will be presented at the SWM meeting in the month following the contest deadline. Winners of more than one top award will receive one certification for the highest scoring entry and honorable mention for any others. In case of a tie for a top award, each individual entrant will receive the same award.
9. Members who wish their entries to be published in The Write Stuff, may forward their entries, winning or not, after the contest, to Southwest Manuscripters, TWS Editor:
10. Entries that do not comply with the above rules will be rejected and the entry fee will be forfeit.
Give entries, checks and cards to the Contest Chair or mail them to: SWM Contest, 872 - Fifth Street, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266 or bring to the June 3rd, 2017 SWM Meeting (or before). Do NOT mail entries to the Editor or to the SWM P.O. Box.
Basically what the above is saying:
A) Submit 4 (four) copies of your work, without any personal info on the sheets, just the title.
B) At the same time, include a card or paper with title and your personal info.
C) Send them to or give to Barbra at the above address or at the next meeting along with your check or cash.
D) Pick up your award at the following meeting.
SWM Meeting Times & Dates for 2017
Sat. May 6th, 2-4pm
June 3rd, 2-4:00pm
July 8th, 2-4:00pm
August TBD - Picnic
September 9th, 2-4pm
October 7th, 2-4:00pm
November 4th, 2-4:00pm
December, Holiday Party